Moving in with your significant other is a pretty big deal. There are a lot of things to consider such as who's furniture is going where? which side of the bed do you get? etc. Obviously, I am no expert but, as stated before, J and I moved in together pretty quickly and these tips and ideas are what I think made us and keeps us successful!
1. Set expectations immediately and stick to them. If you have pet peeves, share them with the other and listen to theirs. If you don't want the toilet seat left up, voice that but, remember that boys are forgetful and need reminders so, find a cute way to do so:
2. Know who is moving in with you. Before the actual lease signing, ask each other questions and get to know each other better and deeper.
3. Figure out your ca$hflow situation. Although y'all move in together does not mean you are sharing a bank account, you will most likely be sharing or splitting bills. For us, we split everything that we share (rent, utilities, groceries) down the middle completely in half. Because I am more organized, John writes me a check every month during the last week for the amount of what half of everything is and I use that to pay the bills.
4. Divvy up the housework evenly-or at least in a way that works for you. I have no issue doing anything but the trash. Obviously, if John sees me doing something, he will help me but the main job he has is to make sure the trash is never gross and over flowing.
5. Just because you are living together now does NOT mean you need to or should spend each and every waking moment with one another..yes you moved in together to be with one another but you each need your own alone time, time with friends, and space so, figure out a system that works best for you. For us, our schedules work so J leaves for work well before me so I have some time in the morning and I get home much later than him so, he has time in the afternoons. Saturdays, J works in the morning so I have the whole day to myself and Monday nights, he has the night to watch the MNF games or do whatever.. it just works for us that way but everyone is different.
6. C O M P R O M I S E its hard. but its necessary. If you always watch a certain show on Mondays (for example), and a big game is on, DVR your show and watch the game with your man.. If he wants a picture in a certain space, make it work.
7. Show your love. Do sweet things for one another..anything from leaving a quick note to buying flowers or making dinner-just because you are living together does not mean you can stop being sweet.
8. Make a space for each of you. We kind of share a space but it is set up for both of us. We converted the spare bedroom into an office/man cave/ guest room. I decked it out in absolutely all of his favorite New England sports things. All of the office accessories are pats related but it is tasteful and organized so it works for both of us.
9. GET OVER IT. seriously, you have to learn to pick your battles. Not every thing needs to be a matter of national security or a fight-it isn't worth it.